When using the wood burner, the main things to remember would be:
- Use hardwood (Beech or Oak is ideal)
- Cut the kindling into as small pieces as possible (1cm square x 15cm works really well)
- Ensure the wood had a really low moisture content/is kiln dried. Some customers chose to put the kindling in an oven on a low temperature for a few hours to really dry it out. Wood that is well seasoned (for two years) will have a moisture content of around 30-40%, kiln dried wood will be 20-30%. For the wood burner to operate best you need the driest wood possible, therefore kiln dry it in your oven until it is bone dry!
- At the beginning of fire-up do not be afraid to fill the hopper with wood
- Keep the hopper door closed as much as possible (obviously unless feeding with wood or poking the embers)
- The wood burner requires close management to maintain the flame - practice will make perfect!